Saturday, April 24

There is no should.

Do you ever have one of those days where you're just not feeling social?  Today was one of those days.  I went to a friend's wedding that was absolutely beautiful, but it was a smaller wedding where I didn't know anyone other than my husband (obviously!), the bride and groom, and a few members of the wedding party.  And as much as I felt like I should socialize with the other guests because that's the polite thing to do, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I figured 1) I'm here to support my friend who is getting married and that's the most important thing.  2) I'm probably not going to see any of the guests that I don't already know again.  3) I'd rather talk to my husband than anyone else because I'm more comfortable with him than anyone else.

So you know what?  I didn't talk to anyone else.  Obviously I congratulated the bride and groom and chatted with the girls in the wedding party, but, other than that, I gave myself permission to not be social.  Normally, I would put a lot of pressure on myself to socialize, but the simple act of giving myself permission to do what I felt like instead of what I felt like I should be doing was wonderful!

It reminds me of something a friend said to me once: That there is no should.  Think about it for a second.  It's so simple, but so freeing.  Whenever I remember that saying, it reminds me that it's okay for me to ignore the shoulds that I place on  myself and to take that pressure off of myself.

No comments: