Monday, March 29

Delighting in the Sabbath

"If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD's holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
The mouth of the LORD has spoken.

-Isaiah 58:13-14

I have never been good at making myself do things, especially things that are good for me. I don't drink as much water as I should. I'm not nearly as good as I should be at working out. So it's no surprise that the thing that would be good for me spiritually - setting aside a day for God - is not what I do. Instead, I do exactly what the above verse says I should NOT do. I go do "as I please."

I could try to list the reasons that I don't set aside a day for God, but none of them are any good because I shouldn't be trying to come up with reasons at all. It should not be a debate. I need to spend at least one day a week with God.

And while I do feel like I'm getting closer to God by listening to the Bible while I drive in my car, I think that that's still a way of fitting God into my life instead of fitting myself into the life that God has for me. I need to make more of an effort to go God's way instead of going "my own way." So this is my commitment to myself (and the handful of people who actually read my blog) to be better about setting aside at least one day a week for God.

No comments: